Wednesday, May 29, 2019

New Paintings .... Greens and Blues





One of the most important things to learn and understand when painting landscapes outdoors is accurately mixing greens & blues.    A hillside covered with brush is one of the hardest images to capture when painting on-site.    The intensity of the sun can trick you into painting the greens (& blues!) more vividly than they are.    The first two paintings below were painted outdoors onsite in one sitting.   I was happy I didn't intensify the saturation beyond reality.   Keeping the greens muted and subtle was a challenge but I accomplished it here.   The last Waterlilly was painted in my studio with controlled lighting so I dove into the intense blues!  These new paintings will be at the OffTrack Gallery in Encinitas just in time for the Reception Saturday, June 1, from 4 until 9. 


Murhpy's Hills
8 x 10

Waterlily I
8 x 10

Waterlily II
16 x 20

No comments:

Post a Comment